Dryer Vent Cleaning

 

Laundry-Dryer-small

A safety issue as well as an energy efficiency issue!  

If you leave your clothes in your dryer longer than 30 minutes, you are wasting time and energy and you are risking a fire.  The Consumer Product Safety Commission says that on average, there are 15,500 clothes dryer fires resulting in over $100,000,000 in damages and an unfortunate 10+ deaths each year (see news clips below).  That’s right, over 100 MILLION dollars and 10 DEATHS! A clogged dryer vent adds risk because lint is highly flammable and the temperature rises with restricted air flow. Our air duct cleaning certified technicians complete all dryer vent cleanings. Dryer vent cleaning includes cleaning the dryer as well; an integral part of safety and efficiency for the homeowner. Our technicians can also repair and or replace your dryer vent duct work if found to be necessary for safety reasons!

You need your dryer vents cleaned today!  

The Consumer Product Safety Commission says that improper and dirty dryer vents are a very large and common safety problem. Here are a few tips they recommend to keep your clothes dryer running safely and efficiently.

  • Use metal dryer ducts to help prevent dryer fires. Consumer Reports says that flexible dryer ducts made of foil or plastic are the most problematic because they can sag and let lint build up at low points. Ridges can also trap lint. Metal ducts, either flexible or solid, are far safer because they don’t sag, so lint is less likely to build up. In addition, if a fire does start, a metal duct is more likely to contain it.
  • No matter what kind of duct you have, you should clean it regularly. In addition, remove the visible lint from the lint screen each time you use the dryer. This not only will reduce the risk of a fire, but your clothes will dry faster and your dryer will use less energy. If dryer film is a worry, there is certainly no harm in occasionally cleaning the lint filter with warm soapy water and a small brush.
  • Clean inside, behind, and underneath the dryer, where lint can also build up.
  • Buy dryers that use moisture sensors rather than ordinary thermostats to end the auto-dry cycle. Thermostats can allow the dryer to run longer than necessary.
  • Occasionally wipe the sensors with a soft cloth or cotton ball and rubbing alcohol to keep it functioning accurately. Sensors are usually located on the inside of the dryer, just below the door opening, and can be hard to find. They are usually two curved metallic strips, shaped like the letter “C”.

Illinois News Clips

 

House Destroyed in Fire Caused by Dryer – Peoria Journal Star (1/12/2009)

HAVANA, IL – A Havana house was destroyed Sunday by a fire caused by a clothes dryer, Fire Chief John Kachanuk said.  The fire was extinguished in around 30 minutes.  The homeowners were at home when the fire started but escaped without injury.  Kachanuk said the house and its contents are a total loss, with damages estimated at $150,000.

House Fire – WMBD CBS News 31(1/31/2009)

MAPLETON, IL – A dryer fire quickly spread in Mapleton house this morning causing extensive damage.  One resident in the home suffered a minor burn on the hand.  When firefighters arrived on the scene, the fire had spread to the second floor and was fully involved.  Five other departments were called into to help.  Firefighters ran into problems with the hydrants on the scene.  “We have hydrants here but basically we are away from the water supply and this is a pretty maxi flow today, bigger than you normally have.  So we were pulling a lot of water and need a lot more water,” said Limestone Assistant Fire Chief Gary Kantner.

Fire on Causes Major Damage – By Stephen Johnson – KHQA – Channel 7 News (4/10/2009)

QUINCY, IL – A dryer fire gets the blame for a late night blaze at 3rd and Hampshire in Quincy.  The fire caused major damage to the Peppco uniform company and the Grandview Church youth ministry building.  The fire started just after eleven pm in Peppco and quickly spread burning through the ceiling and up through the floor.  Both Peppco and the youth ministry sustained fire, smoke and water damage.

Laundry Room Fire Causes $30K of Damage – WBBM News Radio 780 (4/12/2009)

HOFFMAN STATES, IL – A laundry room fire caused approximately $30,000 in damage to a Hoffman Estates town house.  The Hoffman Estates Fire Department was notified of a dryer fire at 1811 Sessions Walk.  When the first responding units got to the scene they found light smoke coming from the two-story town house, a release from the Hoffman Estates Fire Department said.  Firefighters entered the town house and found that the fire had extended out of the laundry area of the second floor.  The unit sustained fire and smoke damage estimated at $30,000, according to the fire department.

Clothes Dryer Blamed for Starting Northbrook Home Fire – By Todd Shield – The Northbrook Star (4/22/2009)

NORTHBROOK, IL – A clothes dryer left running too long was the apparent cause of a Northbrook house fire.  No people were injured in the smoky fire.  But a village emergency worker was seen carrying the body of a lifeless dog in a bag out of the house.  Mike Mendel, a student at Glenbrook North High School, who lived at the home said he put clothes into the dryer, set it for 45 minutes and left to be with friends.  He said firefighters told him the fire’s cause was the dryer.

Call Us Today!

847-991-2383

Contact Us:

11 + 7 =